We are currently accepting submissions for Issue 6: SOLITUDE!
Submissions close June 30, 2020.
While in the midst of self-isolation, it is easy to feel loneliness and melancholy without our usual social interactions. Perhaps we take for granted the precious passing moments we share with others. However, during this time, we are also drawn to consider, what does solitude truly mean? What does it mean to embody solitude? It is the opportunity to be with oneself without interruption, to allow your thoughts and ambitions to arise from within. Solitude holds such vast meaning and significance, can be held with joy or sorrow. We are fascinated by the open potential of this theme and its meaning for others.
For our next submission call, we wanted something that would both reflect on our unique current world crisis, while also fostering a broader conversation and contemplation about what it means to be with oneself. We invite you to write into experiences and expressions of solitude for our sixth themed issue. How do you experience being with yourself? What is the quarantine and global pandemic experience like for you? What past situations have you been in where you felt truly present with yourself? How is this space difficult to hold or maintain or serene to find? Is it momentary or prolonged? What creative work comes out of solitude?
We hope that through your solitude submissions, we will create a space that shows that even within this solitary space, we have shared experience and community. It is merely one aspect of the multitudes that comprise the human experience.
(Please limit to 3 pieces per submission, up to 4 pages per prose piece.)
Tiny Spoon accepts submissions on a rolling basis. Please send all submissions directly to our email: email@example.com.
Our guidelines are below. Please take a moment to review them before submitting. We look forward to reading your work!
What We Look For:
Here at Tiny Spoon, we are especially interested in experimental work, although not exclusively. If you’ve had trouble finding a home for your work because it doesn’t fit into generally recognized categories, chances are your home is right here with us.
We seek work that pushes the boundaries of conventional genres; work that is daring, experimental, innovative, quirky, thoughtful, vulnerable, electric, eccentric. In other words, your inner workings expanded and exposed, raw and immediate; your fragile soul parted at the seams into our bound paper glossary of tiny wonder. Your voice is beautiful, edgy, infinite, and unique, and we want to raise it.
- Format text: sent as .doc, .docx, .rtf, or .pdf
- Art: .jpeg or .tif
- Please label the file “Last Name_Title of Work”
- Length per piece: 1,000 words max
- Font: 12 pt Garamond or a similar font
- Up to three pieces per submission. Any additional work after the first three will not be reviewed. Please refrain from inserting text submissions directly into the body of the email.
- Simultaneous submissions allowed. Please let us know if it is published elsewhere.
- Submissions are free!
- Please provide a one sentence bio about yourself.
- Cover letters are not required, but you may send one if you’d like. We won’t show preference based on this.
- You will maintain the rights to your work; if it is published elsewhere or in a collection, we simply ask that you give us credit for first publication.
For our contributors in North America, we send a complimentary copy of the issue in which they appear.
If outside North America, due to budgeting costs and the fact they often get lost in the mail, instead of a physical copy, we provide a printable version of the magazine and instructions for assembly.